Friday, May 25, 2012

Voki

As I looked through the “Top 100 Education Technology Tools for Learning,” I was amazed at how many I had never heard of before.  I wanted to do research on so many of them, because I found them all very intriguing!  However, I still try to have somewhat of a social life, so I limited myself to one: Voki. 

Voki is used by 2 million users in education (students and/or teachers) and serves as an excellent way to teach and learn with technology through the use of interactive avatars.   What is really great about Voki is that it was created with students and teachers in mind, and the application of it really shows just that. 

The first step is to create an avatar or Voki.  Honestly, it took me about 20 minutes to create mine!  Not because it was complicated (it was super simple actually), but because there were SO MANY options.  I designed my Voki to somewhat resemble me (basically blonde hair and blue eyes!), but the avatar can even be an animal.  As I searched through the many different clothing options, I realized that my Voki had a bigger and better closet than I do!  She also has a variety of jewelry and sunglasses to choose from as well.  I even got to choose her background as a pool, since that’s where I hope to be lounging this weekend…

Check out my Voki avatar! (If you click the little triangle to play, you'll hear "her" speak!)

After I created my Voki, I saw that you could add voice.  It gives you many different ways to do this: by phone, microphone, text to speech, or uploading a file.  I recorded a quick blurb and then finally published my Voki.        

Now to the educational part of Voki!  There is an entire lesson plan database with hundreds of already submitted lesson plans for a variety of subjects and ages.  I chose “Spelling” for “3rd and 4th grade” and was shown very detailed description, objectives, and activities.  The activities included having students create a Voki to teach the rest of the class how to spell their list of words and the ‘rules’ needed in order to do so correctly.  For example, the Voki would teach the class that receive is spelled c-e-i because you have to follow ‘i before e, except after c’ rule. 

This is great for students because it encourages them to volunteer and participate more because it is really the avatar Voki doing the work.  All the student has to do is present his or her Voki, and then just let the Voki do all the talking! 

Voki can become even more effective, but at a price.  For $30ish a month, you can have your own ‘classroom’ to organize your students and their Voki’s.  For schools that are well equipped with technology, I think this puts a whole new fun spin on learning, even for the teacher! 









No comments:

Post a Comment